Monday, July 15, 2013

Japan, a museum and to summer 2014...


So it has been since March... long time oops! Well, much has been happening here in that time since. I returned from Japan in June after getting to stay for 5 weeks. Each trip brings new ideas, This time many pictures and a deeper understanding of the temples and Zen philosophy. It was strange to return but nice to be back in the studio and home with the family and gardening. The above pic is the first result from the travels. Taizo-in Temple is the inspiration. It is located in Kyoto, small and impressive. Overlapping maple leaves and the patterns from the raked stone gardens really brought this one together. Oh yes, and the adding of some color to the work. This is a set of 17. The printing is done now but I still need to figure out the final set up and grommits. I am thinking these might get set up in pairs for doorways.... guess I'll figure it out soon.

 
Just this past week I installed this set, from October of 2012, at the Wenham Museum in the fair town of Wenham. It will be there from July 12 to July 21. The final title is "Passing." It is really fun to see it out in public finally.



After putting it back together, different from the original setup, it became a learning experience. As many stones that were brought I realized just how large this piece can become. As well it was really interesting to how different configurations alter the concept of the piece. I'm not sure what is going to happen to it once the display is over. This show was/ is in conjunction with the annual Art Grows Here event. It was fun to take part in. I am hoping to do more work in this vein locally.

The Blue Box will be hosting a show in August called "Brown Bag: Cheap and Elegant." I inherited a large amount of bags this past spring. A good amount of my comrades have been given 10 bags and asked to make art with them, on them.... etc. This will be a one day show and reception on August 17.

I have not much in my brain to wax poetic about, as I usually do, so I bid you a farewell until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment