Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sanjusangendo Pieces Finished for Outside....

VERY EXCITING. After not a very long time, but long enough for me, these four pieces are finished. And let me tell you the ground out there is really solid and cold. None the less, these are my favorite pieces I have made since last May.


Again, I really considered about pretty landscapes and if that is what I wanted to make. I never thought I'd see that day but here they are. I guess I have come to terms with the idea that not everything has to be groundbreaking. Going back to more traditional forms of visually communicating have paid off. The act of pulling something out of the past and updating it. In terms of execution, yes. Silkscreen is the choice of method. Processing it through digital imaging, again yes. Posting it on the web again... contemporary. Using the idea of asian vanishing perspective and the long scroll like format in combination with contemporary tools is something I am becoming far more excited about.



I guess mining the grounds of the way past is a good way to revive your own eyes and thoughts. Sort of going super retro. In terms, art need not always be groundbreaking or trend setting. each piece takes on its' own life though the decisions made about its' execution. Years ago I would not eve have considered creating something of this sort. But after the Fu Baoshi experience things just kind of took off. Much of his work was created during the early tenure of the Chinese communist government. Many of his pieces were based on the poems of Mao. Again, another example of using traditional formats with contemporary ideas.



I will be producing another few sets in this fashion. I do think there should be more in the sets though. And on another note, I will be working with my collaborator over the next few weeks to produce sets of translations of zen koans. this will take a bit so please bear some patience. They will have a pretty large run and will be available for the consumption of the masses.

Also now that I am building up a pretty good stock of work I will start getting them out to the public shortly. The difference now is that I would like to keep the sets intact. I'm not sure of how this is going to work but I will fill all in on this in the near future.

BYE!





No comments:

Post a Comment